Benefits of Anti-Fatigue Matting
What are anti-fatigue mats?
They are fatigue reducing mats, which are designed to provide a cushioning effect when standing for a long period of time and elevate you from a hard floor surface. Anti-fatigue mats are often made from soft polyurethane, PVC sponge and rubber materials.
Do they work? The science behind anti-fatigue mats:
Answer firstly is yes! You don’t want a mat too soft that just moulds down and feels like you are standing on hard floor again. You want it cushioned enough, yet firm enough to hold the weight of the person standing on it. A study has shown that standing on just a 10mm anti-fatigue mat can reduce pain and discomfort in the legs, back and feet by up to 50 percent. A similar study revealed considerable differences in thermal comfort as well as leg and back discomfort between those who stood on concrete for 90 minutes and those who did the same on anti-fatigue mats.
5 top benefits of anti-fatigue matting:
- Comfort! Anti-fatigue mats are medically proven to provide unsurpassed comfort, safety, relief and support while you stand. Not only do the mats elevate you off the cold, hard floor, but they provide a soft cushioning effect.
- Reduces stress on joints. Standing for prolonged times on a hard floor can cause great pressure and discomfort on your ankle, knee, leg, hip joints and long-term effects! This problem can be solved by using anti-fatigue mats, as the foam layer softens the impact on the joints, decreasing the pain and discomfort. A lot of physiotherapists recommend these mats to their clients especially those with arthritis and we have heard a lot of positive feedback from them.
- Improves work productivity. Using an anti-fatigue mat for standing work areas significantly and favourably affects your work productivity. It provides a comfortable, pain-free, and ergonomic space to work, helping to boost your mood and focus on your work.
- Health benefits! There are so many health benefits from using anti-fatigue matting. When you are standing it stimulates blood circulation to flow around the body more freely, compared to when you are sitting. Prevents muscles from aching, strengthens your leg muscles. After using anti-fatigue matting you may also notice ankle swelling goes down. It can help reduce body tiredness as by standing up & not sitting down all day, it gives you energy. Did you know standing burns more calories than if you were sitting!
- Improves posture. Anti-fatigue mats are specially designed and ergonomically engineered to help with your posture. It has been proven that standing on a softer surface provided by an anti-fatigue mat can be especially effective in reducing back pain.
Can anti-fatigue mats save your business money?
Yes, in many ways! Not only with the positive benefits with the health of your employees, but also the fact that the anti-fatigue mats more than pay for themselves with increased productivity & improved employee morale. Poor ergonomics can cause absenteeism to soar, anti-fatigue mats provide relief to the standing worker so you can send your employees home every day in good shape.
Where do anti-fatigue mats get used?
Anti-fatigue mats are used every day in a lot of different industries and workplaces or even just at home in your kitchen. For example, retail workers behind a counter, factory & warehouse workers standing for prolonged times at a packing bench or machinery all day, hair dressers, waiters to name a few! Anti-fatigue mats are also becoming very popular now with stand-up desks, as many people are finding that they sit down for too long in a day!
We stock a range of anti-fatigue mats, browse our range here. Or view the ideal anti-fatigue mat for specific uses below: